Why are more manufacturers using laser marking?
Laser marking offers durability, simple programming and marking speeds not available from any other technology. The dramatic reduction in laser costs enabled by laser marking systems highly affordable and the marking technology of choice where quality and durability is required.Manufacturers across various industries, including automotive, aerospace, electronics, medical devices, and packaging, are adopting laser marking as a preferred method for product identification, branding, and traceability.
Laser Marking Vs Traditional Marking
Ink Jet vs Fiber Laser Marking
Ink jet marking is fast, easily programmed and ubiquitous in paper, packaging, and low-cost product applications.
Fiber lasers are more suitable for metal, plastic and ceramic parts, they eliminate consumable ink and require no jet maintenance. Fiber laser marking physically changes the surface, giving it a permanence that can never be achieved with ink.
Dot Peen vs Fiber Laser Marking
Dot peen is an economical means of putting alpha-numeric characters on metal parts.
Fiber laser marking is higher resolution, can apply any 2D image and is much faster. In applications like Unique Device Identification (UDI) marking, fiber lasers can produce small dimension marks that are not possible with dot peen.
Electrochemical Etch vs Fiber Laser Marking
Effective for large-area designs, Electrochemical etch requires a stencil of the pattern to be made and requires parts to be electrically conductive. Fiber laser marking has no electrical restrictions, no cost of stencils, and can change mark patterns on the fly for part serialization.
Advantages of Fiber Laser Marking Technology
- Precision and High Quality: Laser marking provides precise and high-quality marks with fine details, making it suitable for applications where accuracy and aesthetics are important.
- Non-Contact Process: Laser marking is a non-contact method, meaning there is no physical contact with the material being marked. This reduces the risk of damage to delicate or sensitive surfaces, which is especially important for electronics and medical devices.
- Permanent and Durable Marks: Laser marks are typically permanent, resistant to wear, corrosion, and fading. This durability is critical for applications requiring long-lasting product identification, such as serial numbers, barcodes, and logos.
- Wide Material Compatibility: Laser marking is compatible with a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, ceramics, glass, and more. This versatility makes it suitable for various manufacturing industries.
- Speed and Efficiency: Laser marking is a fast and efficient process, which is particularly advantageous for high-throughput manufacturing environments. It allows for rapid marking without the need for drying or curing time.
- Contactless and Non-Deformative: Laser marking does not apply pressure or force on the material, which is crucial for applications where deformation or distortion is a concern.
- Variable Marking Options: Laser marking systems can be easily configured to create different types of marks, such as text, graphics, 2D or 3D codes, and even QR codes. This flexibility allows manufacturers to adapt to specific marking requirements.
- Automation and Integration: Laser marking systems can be integrated into automated production lines, streamlining the manufacturing process and reducing the need for manual labor.
- Minimal Maintenance: Laser marking systems typically have a longer operational lifespan and lower maintenance requirements compared to other marking methods, such as inkjet or dot peen.
- Environmentally Friendly: Laser marking does not involve the use of inks, solvents, or other consumables, reducing waste and environmental impact.
- Compliance and Traceability: Laser marking is often used for compliance with industry standards and regulations, enabling efficient tracking, tracing, and identification of products throughout their lifecycle.
- Quick Setup and Changeover: Laser marking systems are relatively easy to set up and can quickly switch between different marking jobs, allowing for greater production flexibility.
Laser Marking Machines Application
All series fiber laser marking machine designed by IGOLDENCNC adopts the advanced laser power, world brand galvameters, high-transparency field lens, and industrial components. With high-precision, cost-effective and long lifetime stable operation.
This system support marking on stainless steel, carbon steel, alloy steel, spring steel, copper plate, aluminum plate, gold, silver, titanium, other products, painting acrylic, density board, plastic, acrylic acid, rubber, bamboo, marble, painting glass, TPU (Thermoplastic polyurethanes). Now fiber laser marker has been mainly used in electronic components, integrated circuits (IC), electrical appliances, mobile communications, hardware, tools, accessories, precision instruments clocks and watches, glasses, jewelry accessories, ring, auto parts, plastic buttons, building materials, PVC pipes etc.