What Is an Edge Bander Machine?
What Is an Edge Banding Machine
To explain simply, it’s the process of applying thin strips of wood to the raw edges of a piece of furniture. The strips of wood are measured and cut into appropriate sizes so as to exactly fit with the wood panel as if it’s an original part. The edge band acts as a protective layer from moisture and possible warping due to aerial humidity, adding to the strength and durability of the piece. Its purpose is to match the plywood sides with the finished cabinet or furniture for a seamless finish.
What are the Different Types of Edge Banding Machine?
Automatic edge banding machine
The fully automatic edge banding machine can realize the linear edge banding of medium density fiberboard, block board, solid wood board, particle board, high-gloss door panel, plywood, etc. Moreover, it has multiple functions in one machine, such as rough trimming, fine trimming, scraping, buffing, etc. And it can make delicate, smooth, and straight edge banding. The automatic edge banding equipment is stable, reliable and durable, and the price is moderate. Thus it is especially suitable for manufacturers in large and medium-sized furniture industry.
Semi-auto edge banding machine
The semi-automatic edge banding machine is fitful for linear edge banding of medium density fiberboard, block board, and particle board. And it can complete the automatic production line of conveying edge banding, belt feeding, upper and lower edge milling, and polishing at one time. Its main performance has reached or even surpassed the similar domestic edge banding machine. At the same time, the machine price is affordable. Therefore, the semi-auto edge banding machine is popular among the CNC manufacturers of panel furniture.
Manual edge banding machine
The manual edge banding machine is suitable for edge banding of various non-metal materials, such as melamine-urea-formaldehyde impregnated bond paper, wood veneer, plastic (PVC or ABS), etc. It can be do well in straight line and arc irregular edge banding. The manual woodworking edge banding machine has the following advantages: streamlined, light, high quality, and economical price. The manual wood edge banding machine can change the workplace at will. Furthermore, it is suitable for special-shaped and curved edge banding in the decoration industry and large processing plants.
Function introduction of edge banding machines
Most automatic industrial edge banding machines on the current market can realize basic 5 functions. These functions include gluing and banding, end cutting, trimming, scraping, and polishing.
Gluing and banding: There are six pressing wheels (1 big + 5 small) to press the banding tape after applying hot melt glue. It ensures no sliding and firm sticking of the banding tape. The cylinder controls the opening and closing of the glue pot gate to ensure the stability of the glue quantity and uniform thickness.
End cutting: This function aims to cut the excessive edge banding tape at both ends of a wooden board. It is realized by saw blades driven by two sets of high-speed motors. The end cutting unit of an edge bander generally has two types: ordinary end cutting and high-speed double guide rail end cutting. There is a cylinder (with 2 pressure regulating valves and 1 pressure relief valve) to help stabilize the pressure.
Trimming: The function aims to use a trimming knife to remove the excess edge banding material above and below the edge band of the plate. It includes rough trimming and fine trimming processes, with the major difference lying in the different shapes of the trimming knives. A cheap edge banding machine may only have the rough trimming function. Correspondingly, the banding effect will not be too delicate and smooth.
Scraping: The edge bander can also scrape off the corrugated traces generated during the process of curve edge banding. And it can ensure that the edge banding of the plate and the surrounding parts are smooth. Now, flexible scraping is very popular. Its scraping effect is very good, and it does not hurt the edge band or the board.
Polishing: The function of polishing is to polish the burrs and residual glue lines of the panel to make the banded edges smoother. It is realized by a cotton polishing wheel.
Pre-milling: This function is mainly to modify the uneven plate or the ripple, burr, or non-vertical phenomenon caused by the cutting saw. The purpose is to make the plate sealing boundary surface smooth to make the edge banding tape and the plate fit closely. Thus, it can achieve a better edge banding effect. This is a function added before the gluing process.
Profiling tracking: It is also called the corner rounding function. This function aims to round the banded corners to make them smoother and less sharp. Our self-designed tracking function and gas path design make this function more stable and precise.
Cleaning: It aims to clean the residual glue in the glue pot to make the edgebander machine more pretty.
Slotting: It can directly groove the wardrobe side panels, bottom plates, etc. And it can also groove the aluminum edge of door panels, reducing the process of panel sawing.
Pneumatic adjustment of cutter: This function is conducive to replace the panel type, panel thickness, and banding tape. It allows the operator to adjust the edge band thickness from the screen directly.
Upper glue pot: By default, the glue pot of the wood edge bander is located in the lower position. It supports the use of multiple types of hot melt glue. The most commonly used glue is EVA glue. But if you want to use PUR glue to band your cabinets, you may need a upper glue pot edge bander machine.
Double glue pots: Double glue pots allow you to use two different types of glue for your cabinet edge banding. It saves much time frequently cleaning the glue pots when you use glue of different colors.
What are the Uses of Edge Banding in Woodworking?
Many business owners in furniture manufacturing have this question – what are the uses of edge banding in woodworking? To resolve this, we have listed down the benefits of using an edge bander machine in commercial furniture manufacturing.
- Chipped sides of furniture don’t leave a good impression! The automatic edge banding machine reinforces the sides of the wood to protect it from everyday wear and tear. It protects the sides of your furniture from regular scrapes and knocks that come from the continuous use of cabinets or tables.
- Another benefit of edge banding is its ability to transform the aesthetic of your furniture. When edge bands match with the wood panel in terms of texture & colour, it enhances the value and appeal of the furniture.
- As we discussed at the start, edge bands seal the raw panel edges from moisture to protect them from atmospheric humidity. This extensively improves the durability of the wood.
- If worn or damaged with time, edge bands can be easily replaced which makes them economical. They come in different colours and finishes, offering you the advantage to revamp your furniture.
- It is much more affordable than solid-wood edging which also involves the additional cost of staining or varnish.
How to Use a Edge Banding Machine
Although the automatic edge banding tape machine has a high level of automation, operators still need to pay attention to some matters during operation. The following steps describe the general operating procedures of an automatic CNC edge bander.
- Clean the wood edge bander and the workplace, and check whether the vacuum system works normally.
- Check whether the glue in the glue pot is sufficient and clean; if not, add glue appropriately according to the dosage.
- Adjust the position of the auxiliary support rod according to the length and width of the board.
- Properly adjust the distance between the upper wheels and the lower conveyor based on the thickness of the wooden board. Make sure the boards are pressed reliably without damaging the surface.
- Adjust the glue amount to make sure of uniform and sufficient gluing. Connect the air pipe and keep the air pressure stable at 6 standard air pressures.
- Check whether the air pressure of each part is normal and the ventilation is good.
- Make sure the power supply is normal. Turn on the machine to see if the edge banding equipment runs normally. Select the relevant functions on the control panel.
- Put the edge banding tape in position and adjust each width limit position of the banding tape. This is to ensure that the banding tape can pass through each position smoothly without being pressed too hard. Put a wood panel on the conveyor belt and push it forward slowly.
- Check the banding result of the first finished product and adjust relevant parameters accordingly.